Reggie E. Keaton
Reggie graduated with High Honors and Order of the Coif from the University of Tennessee College of Law in 1984, the same year he joined Frantz, McConnell & Seymour, LLP.
A true advocate for his clients, Reggie’s expansive litigation experience in representing individuals and businesses helps him to better resolve their complex legal concerns.
With more than 35 years of experience in civil litigation, Reggie’s practice includes construction law and business and commercial litigation. He has been awarded by Best Lawyers® the Lawyer of the Year Award in Knoxville for Construction Law, Litigation – Construction, and Corporate Law.
Reggie’s extensive construction litigation experience includes the representation of management and operating contractors, general contractors, prime contractors, subcontractors, owners, sureties, and design professionals including architect and engineer firms. His representation in the construction industry has covered a wide range of projects including airport improvements, Department of Energy demolition projects, and various other residential, municipal, commercial, institutional, governmental, and industrial construction projects.
Reggie’s broad litigation experience also includes products liability, ERISA employee welfare benefit plans, adoptions, nursing home / long term care facility liability, intellectual property, civil rights, discrimination, contract disputes, and tort / personal injury.
Reggie has had an extensive litigation practice in both state and federal courts and handles complex litigation matters. He is a Rule 31 Listed General Civil Mediator. He is also a court approved arbitrator for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee. He is recognized by Martindale Hubbell with its highest rating of AV Preeminent. The focus of his undergraduate studies was accounting, and he was awarded outstanding graduate in business administration and economics.
Extremely active in both the legal profession and in his community, Reggie enjoys volunteer work while also having served on a number of boards. His involvement includes:
- Serving as President of the Knoxville Bar Association, President of the Hamilton Burnett American Inn of Court, and President of the Knoxville Barristers.
- Being a Fellow of the Knoxville Bar Foundation where he has served as Chair of its Board of Directors.
- Being a Fellow of the Tennessee Bar Foundation.
- Serving on a special committee of the Tennessee Bar Association that drafted legislation to improve Tennessee’s Mechanics and Materialmans’ Lien Law.
- Being a member of the Tennessee Association of Construction Counsel
- Being named to Best Lawyers® for his practice in the areas of Construction Law, Commercial Litigation, and Litigation – Construction since 2013.
- Being a member of the International Association of Defense Counsel.
- Being a member of the Federal Bar Association
- Serving on boards including the Carson-Newman University Alumni Board and the Health Ventures Board to the Baptist Health System.
Away from the office, Reggie enjoys spending time with his wife and three sons, including traveling with his sons to visit major league baseball parks around the country. He also enjoys hiking, bicycling, and tennis.
- B.S. Carson-Newman, 1981 (Magna Cum Laude)
- J.D. University of Tennessee, 1984 (High Honors and Order of the Coif)