We have extensive experience in the complete range of transactions involving real estate. From conception to transaction closing, our experience allows us to help our clients foresee and avoid costly problems. In addition, we are able to bring our expertise to bear in other areas, including litigation and tax issues.
Our lawyers represent purchasers, sellers and lenders in all aspects of real estate transactions, from negotiations through closings, including document preparation and review of title. We regularly represent property owners, contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers regarding lien-law issues; and we have expertise in the representation of both lenders and borrowers in connection with foreclosures. Additionally, the firm provides representation of landlords and tenants regarding both residential and commercial leases, including communications-tower leases and lease acquisitions.
Real estate services provided by the firm include:
- Negotiation and preparation of contracts for the sale and purchase of commercial land and buildings.
- Assisting buyers in carrying out due diligence review responsibilities under sales contracts, including survey, environmental and governmental approval issues.
- Negotiation and preparation of commercial leases on behalf of landlords and tenants, including office, multi-family and retail leases.
- The formation of entities for the purpose of holding title to land and improvements, including limited liability companies.
- Zoning and land use matters.
- Review of contracts regarding the construction of improvements and the development of real estate projects, including agreements with contractors, architects, engineers, brokers and other providers of services.
- Furnishing advice and litigation services in connection with a wide range of commercial real estate issues, including breach of contract, landlord/tenant and lender/borrower issues.
- Representing lenders and borrowers in connection with all aspects of construction and permanent financing, including document preparation and closing.
- Workouts and bankruptcy.
- Negotiation and preparation of management agreements, restrictive covenants, easement agreements, condominium documents and a wide variety of other agreements relating to the development of real estate.
Back to all Practice Areas
Robert L. Kahn
Jason T. Murphy
Benjamin C. Mullins
Matthew A. Grossman
Richard T. Scrugham, Jr.
Daniel P. Zydel
Sharon H. Kim
Richard E. Graves
Rebekah P. Harbin
Earlier this year, the Tennessee General Assembly passed the Short-Term Rental Unit Act, which affects how local municipalities may regulate short-term rentals such as those often arranged through the use of online platforms such as Airbnb and VRBO. The Act does not affect how private agreements, such as HOA or condominium restrictions, may regulate short-term […]
Recode Knoxville’s first draft of a proposed zoning map for Knoxville was released today. The proposed map can be accessed here. If you would like to speak to Richard Graves on this or any other matter, he may be reached at (865) 546-9321. Richard E. GravesA Tennessee native and a true Volunteer at heart, Richard, who […]
The first revised draft of Recode Knoxville was released to the public yesterday. The revised draft includes substantive use revisions as well as revisions to some zoning procedures. Because the Internet always brings out the best in human discussions (I’m joking), I thought it fitting to discuss zoning, which is always the most interesting conversation […]
The Knoxville-Knox County Metropolitan Planning Commission released this week the first draft of Recode Knoxville, a potential overhaul of Knoxville’s zoning ordinance. At least two more revisions to the draft are expected before the Knoxville City Council considers whether to adopt Recode Knoxville’s final product. At first blush, the draft appears to achieve at least […]
The first draft of a potential overhaul of Knoxville’s zoning ordinance is now available for public review and comment. If you’re involved in Knoxville’s real estate industry, this is worth your attention. If you would like to speak to Richard Graves on this subject or another matter, he may be reached at (865) 546-9321. Richard […]