James E. Wagner
Approachable and able to solve challenges with finesse and innovation, James’ varied legal experience is essential in helping him analyze and resolve his clients’ issues.
James’ practice focuses on estate planning, probate, firearms law and asbestos, as well as personal injury litigation, workers’ compensation, toxic tort litigation, products liability, and insurance. In keeping with his goal of building long-term relationships, he has represented a great many of the same clients throughout his career.
Having been a lawyer for more than 30 years, James has:
- Appeared at every level of state court in Tennessee, and is admitted to practice in federal district courts, the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Served as a member of the Knoxville and Tennessee Bar Associations and the National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel.
- Served as a member of a district investigation committee of the Tennessee Board of Law Examiners, investigating the fitness of applicants for a license to practice law for over 20 years.
- Named in Best Lawyers® for Litigation – Insurance, Mass Tort Litigation / Class Action – Defendants, and Product Liability Litigation-Defendants since 2016.
James received his undergraduate degree from East Tennessee State University in 1980. He then became a police officer before earning his J.D. from the University of Tennessee in 1985. He joined Frantz, McConnell & Seymour, LLP in 1993.
In his free time, James enjoys spending time with his family, as well as teaching, gardening and participating in shooting sports. He also frequently writes articles on firearms law in order to keep his clients up to date.
- B.A. East Tennessee State University, 1980 (magna cum laude)
- J.D. University of Tennessee, 1985 (with honors)